Welcome to Vitor Nazário Coelho portal
Scientist engaged in scientific and social causes
Vitor is a researcher and human passionate for the nature and all living creatures.
I have been trying to release my research as open-source projects, open for external contributions and suggestions.
Some general ideas promoted by him are:
- Promote the evolution to distributed systems;
- Promote social and software freedom;
It is time for embedding privacy in our daily life.
Updated CV can be found at: LATTES - CV
Researcher engaged in social, scientific causes, supporting social and software freedom.
- Post-Doctorate in progress, in partnership with the Universidade Federal Fluminense, supported by the PDR-10/FAPERJ program.
- Doctor in Electrical Engineering, in the field of Computational Intelligence, by the Pós-Graduação em Engenharia Elétrica (PPGEE) the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG), with an exchange period at the University of Sheffield (England), in partnership with the Rolls Royce Technology Center in Control and Systems Engineering, and at ORT Braude College of Engineering (Israel), as a Marie Curie researcher for the European Commission as part of the Seventh Framework Program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Control Engineering and Automation by the Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto (UFOP) with sandwich period, funded by the Sciences without Borders program, at Universat Pompeu Fabra (Barcelona / Spain).
- Technician in Electronic Instrumentation and Process Control by the Instituto Federal de Minas Gerais with internship at the mining area of Alegria, working for the VALE S. A.
The main area I have been acting is artificial intelligence, focusing on the following research topics: mono and multi-objective combinatorial optimization, metaheuristics, trajectory search algorithms, evolutionary computation, evolutionary strategies, mathematical programming, optimization techniques applied to smart-microgrids, Renewable energy integration with mini/microgrid systems, autonomy of intelligent networks, energy storage management, vehicle-to-grid (V2G) integration technologies, mining planning, multi-agent systems, time series forecasting methods, machine learning, scheduling/timetabling, vehicle routing, operational and marketing research, adaptive and self-calibrated PID controllers, and development of computational frameworks.
Participant of the Grupo de Otimização e Algoritmos (GOAL/UFOP), LAGO/UFF, Machine Intelligence and Data Science (MINDS/UFMG). Member of the Instituto de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Tecnologias (IPDT), Ouro Preto/MG, Brazil.
I have been effectively working and researching on solving combinatorial optimization problems for real-world applications, spreading this knowledge and software to small, medium and large size global companies (such as INDITEX).
Check my LATTES - CV, usually it is the one that is most updated, with current projects and conference papers. While most parts are in Portuguese :) I believe you gonna have an interesting journey throughout my mother language, which, is, by the way, a beautiful language (such as the others ones).
- 2016/2018 Post-Doc researcher in partnership with the Institute of Computer Science at Universidade Federal Fluminense (Brazil), under the scope of FAPERJ Pós-Doutorado Nota 10.
- 2013/2016 Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (Brazil) with sandwich at University of Sheffield (England) and ORT Braude College (Israel).
- 2009/2013 Five-years Bachelor in Control and Automation Engineering at Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto (Brazil) with sandwich period at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (Spain).
- 2006/2009 Technical in Electronic Instrumentation and High School at Instituto Federal de Minas Gerais, Brazil
Operational Research, Smart Grid, Smart Cities, Renewable Energy Integration, Mini/Microgrid systems, Combinatorial Optimization Problems, Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, Metaheuristics, Mathematical Programming Models, Matheuristics, Forecasting Models, Fuzzy Logic, Deep Learning, Applied Probability and Statistics, Biometric systems and PID control.
I am also interested in neuroscience, applied magnetism, quantum physics, simulation of cellular organisms and their interaction with viruses and pathogens, and everything that involve living creatures, love, equality and a better life quality for citizens and society.
- Applied Soft Computing~
- Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews~
- Renewable Energy~
- Applied Energy~
- European Journal of Operational Research
- Energy Conversion and Management
- Sustainable Cities and Society
- Computers & Operations Research
- The Open Cybernetics and Systemics Journal
- The Open Fuels & Energy Science Journal
- The Open Mechanical Engineering Journal
- Recent Advances in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Scientia Iranica
- Recent Advances in Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Management of Environmental Quality
- IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution
- Transportation Research. Part E, Logistics and Transportation Review
- The Open Electrical & Electronic Engineering Journal
~ Recognized as an outstanding reviewer in 2016
SCHORLARSHIPS, FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
- 2016 Visiting researcher, during four months, at the Department of Computer Science at Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 Travel grant to the REM 2016: Renewable Energy integration with Mini/Microgrid, CAPES/PPGEE/UFMG.
- 2015 Marie Curie FP7 Program visiting researcher, as PhD student, in University of Sheffield (England) and ORT Braude College (Israel)
- 2014 Travel grant to the 2014 World Congress on Computational Intelligence, CAPES/PPGEE/UFMG.
- 2013/2016 PhD scholarship from CAPES, Brazil
- 2012 Travel grant from studying abroad, given by the Brazilian Science Without Borders Program
- 2011/2009 Honorable Mentions granted in the XIX and XVII Scientific Initiation Seminar of UFOP
- 2010 Best work in the XVIII Scientific Initiation Seminar of UFOP
- 2009/2013 Scientific Initiation grants from CNPQ/FAPEMIG, Brazil
- 2008 Medalist in the 4ª Brazilian Olympics of Mathematics of Public Schools, Ministry of Education, Brazil
- 2005 and 2007 Honorable Mention in the 1ª and 3ª Brazilian Olympics of Mathematics of Public Schools, Ministry of Education, Brazil
- Metaheuristics International Conference and the XII Metaheurísticas, Algoritmos Evolutivos y Bioinspirados (Organization team, 2017)
- 5th International Conference on Variable Neighborhood Search (Conference Chair, 2017)
PROJECTS AND PARTNERSHIPS
- 2016 Forecasting models for household dissagregated energy forecasting in mini/microgrid scenarios, CNPq/PIBIT, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 Automatic music generating using a hybrid forecasting model, CNPq/PIBIT, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 Study of heuristic techniques for job-shop scheduling problems, CNPq/PIBIC and UFOP/PIP, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto.
- 2016 OESIA/INDITEX, Large scale warhouse optimization problem, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- 2014 Development of a biometric system using brain and electromagnetic signals. Innovation project with development of a low-cost sensor.
- 2011 Development of efficient algorithms for combinatorial optimization problems, within CAPES 306458/2010-1 and 306694/2013-1 (Prof. Marcone Jamilson Freitas Souza).
- 2009 Efficient algorithms for solving combinatorial problems, within FAPEMIG CEX 00357/09, 00469/11, 497/13 and 772/15 (Pesquisador Mineiro, Prof. Marcone Jamilson Freitas Souza).
- 2014/2015 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – A hybrid metaheuristic based in logic fuzzy concepts applied for wind power forecasting
- 2013/2014 PIBIT/CNPq – A hybrid algorithm for machine scheduling
- 2013/2014 PIP/UFOP – DiA general study of direct marketing campaigns and operations research
- 2013/2013 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – A genetic algorithm for the vehicle routing with heterogeneous fleets
- 2012/2016 PIRSES-GA-2011-295152 – New Horizons for Multi Criteria Decision Making
- 2011/2013 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – A multi-objective approach for open-pit-mining operational planing problem
- 2011/2012 CNPq Universal 2010/2012, 482765/2010-0 – Efficient algorithms for solving combinatorial problems of mining and transportation
- 2009/2011 PROBIC/FAPEMIG – New strategies for efficient resolution for the open-pit-mining operational planning problem
Open Research and ideas
Contributions are always welcome. Fell free to contact me or any other contributor and ask for a read & edit link. Source files, codes, experiments and everything we used in each project is usually open.
- The Neighborhood Guided Evolution Strategies
- In this draft we keep describing and improving the description of our previous published ES for combinatorial opt. problems.
- When AI and decentralized systems effectively meets smart cities and grids
- We try to point out the lack of connection between the state-of-the-art paper on both “smart” topics, cities and the energy grid. We try to discuss possibilities for promoting territorial development. In particular, we consider how renewable energy resources could be integrated with mini/microgrids, which will be hearth of the future cities.
- Emerging transportation systems and open optimization problems inside the scope of smart cities
- Researchers and the industry have been realizing the paramount importance of discussing the future of cities under development. Novel transportation systems are being designed in order to meet sustainability and efficiency criteria. Furthermore, citizens and users are becoming aware about the power and possibilities of the current generation of devices. The hidden mask behind the intelligence of these equipment, also known as Smart Sensors, are the core of the future Smart Cities. In this sense, this current paper present and discuss state-of-the-art transportation technologies and systems. In particular, we detect and comment about novel combinatorial optimization problems that might be useful and important for an efficient evolution of the cities. By considering different perspectives, multi-criteria decision making is suggested in order to balance citizens and industry wishes.
- Envisioned Significant Quantum Communication with Entangled Photons
- A discussion and vision about how a quantum communication protocol could be done, considering the possibility of breaking Bell’s inequalities and use state-of-the-art computational intelligence tools.
- An insight about artificial intelligence tools for balancing security and privacy concerns in smart cities
- A recent aware regarding surveillance is happening in all big cities. In this sense, we would to point out and discuss who AI is connected to it and what are the current possibilities. Furthermore, highlighting a trade-off between privacy/life quality and efficiency of these systems.
- A robust kalman filter based control for low-cost UAVs
- A simple filter and strategy for controlling the stability of a small UAV.
- This draft and study will extend our previous discussion regarding the possibility of identifying individuals regarding their brain signals. We will use state-of-the art deep learning models with GPU capabilities, embedded inside a metaheuristic based learning strategy.
- Providing food eating opportunities with a multi-criteria view about diets
- Why choose an expensive diet while you can pick a special one from a set of non-dominated solutions?
- A review and possibilities for Multi-Objective Dominance Based Local Search Metaheuristics
- Trajectory search algorithms are becoming a hot topic for multi-objective optimization.
- An insight about the use of non-dominated solutions for time series learning and forecasting
- A single forecasting model can predict values in the way it was learned to do. However, why do not consider a non-dominated set of models?
- A simple local search algorithm for a complex huge-scale warhouse picking problem
- Explanation and description of a real optimization code we developed for a huge logistic enterprise.
- Multi-objective design of communities and urban areas
- This research line started with the idea of allocating renewable energy resources inside a specific area (rural, urban or a private community), respecting citizens/users/owners wishes and operational requirements. Further discussions made us extend it for a MO allocation of resources and novel metrics for performing land allocation and its efficient use.
Highlighted repositories (data and code)
- Check OptFrame, it contains most part of my research codes as some of its Examples.
- Hybrid Forecasting Model - HFM
- Check it inside the OptFrame, as one of its Examples.
- The neighborhood guided evolution strategies
- Check it inside the OptFrame, as one of its implemented and reproducible metaheuristic.
- Hybrid Forecasting Model - HFM
- Operations research techniques for optimization direct marketing campaigns
- Code repository: https://email@example.com/vncoelho/modm.git
- Power dispataching in mini/microgrid using electric vehicles
- SPOOLS code repository: https://firstname.lastname@example.org/vncoelho/cplexmatheuristic.git
- MILP model: https://email@example.com/vncoelho/milp_energystorageplaning.git
- EEG time series learning and classification - The development of a new Biometric system and brain signals recognition
- Code repository is currently the same of the HFM, it available as an example inside the forecasting framework.
- Combinatorial optimization problems resolution and techniques for tackling them
- Most part of the codes are available inside the OptFrame.
“If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”, Isaac Newton
“We are also the giants. We are living a continuous endless timeline of happiness and learning :)”
“Estamos todos unidos energeticamente. Dissemine amor e paz!”